Stuffed aubergine with vine tomatoes from the oven
- 3 aubergines
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 vine tomatoes, diced
- 1 basil, finely chopped
- 50 gr breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, whipped
- 1 flat parsley, finely chopped
- 70 gr capers
- 100 gr Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Olive oil
Serves 6 people | approx. 45 minutes
1. Put the aubergines in a large pan with boiling water and boil for about 6 minutes. Drain and let them cool down. Use a spoon, or alternatively a knife, to remove the hearts. Chop this fine and put in a bowl.
2. Also chop the tomatoes and garlic. Put the hollowed aubergines in an oven dish and preheat the oven at 180 ºC. Add a large drop of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the garlic. Add the chopped aubergine hearts and the diced tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat until a soft mixture (like a chunky sauce).
3. Meanwhile, mix the breadcrumbs, the 2 eggs, the flat parsley, basil, capers and half of the grated cheese in a bowl until a thick, sticky mixture. Add the tomato-aubergine mixture and stir thoroughly.
4. Fill the hollowed aubergines with the created mixture. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top of it. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven and place them underneath the grill for another 5 minutes (if your oven has this option) to give the aubergines a finished ‘au gratin’ look. Serve with rice or couscous and a basic salad.